Sunday 20 November 2011

It's been a while - River Pike

It's been a while since i updated my blog, mainly because i haven't been that successful! I dedcided on a trip to the river today, with thick fog and after a cold night. Tactics involved fishing towards the middle of the river, in approximately 25 - 30ft of water, and regurlarly twitching the deadbait (smelt) back up the marginal shelf towards me. A simple running ledger completed the rig.


After 15mins or so of fishing, i decided to reel the deadbait towards me with 3 or 4 turns of the reel, and within 5 mins the drop arm indicator sprung free and line was pouring out the reel. I lifted the rod, tightened up and felt a gradual knocking which indicates a pike is on. I hit into the fish, and felt the weight of a nice pike, lip-hooked. It turned out to be just under 8lb...a nice start to the day (especially after a recent run of 5 blanks).

Nothing much more happened, but i was happy with that.

Other recent trips have seen me beach fishing with limited success, mainly a small dab, whiting and a flounder. All good fun though...here's some pics

Rob the Fish' Birds nest (Sorry Rob!!)

2 comments:

  1. Stockton waters have a one rod only rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning,
    I understand that. The Lower Tees is part of the Lower Tees Amalgamation waters - i've not seen one of their rulebooks?

    I only fish one rod on Stockton Waters.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete