Sunday 5 February 2017

Targetting the predators.....and testing out Shimano OC 6000's with Pete Foster Drop Arms

I decided that a change from the usual chub fishing was required, so have been targeting perch and pike over the last week or so. The first trip was an afternoon session on the lower Tees, feeder fishing lobworm in 20 - 25ft of water in the hope for a nice bag of perch. Conditions were cold and clear, and as the afternoon wore on, I soon got a nice bite which was hit, resulting in this smashing perch of 1lb 11oz


After that, I was expecting a few more as the light faded. I did get two more half pulls of the rod tip, one of which I struck but with no resistance. I was fishing a 2oz quiver, and I think this may be my downfall - i'm sure the matchmen who do well on these pegs would be using 1oz or less (a note for next time....). Nothing else came my way, but I was pleased with this.

Today saw me on a local Stillwater in search of pike. I've recently acquired a new set of reels (Shimano 6000 OC's) and drop arm indicators (Pete Fosters), and was looking forward to putting them to the test (along with the Century AK 47 twin tips that I picked up a set of for cheap, and am extremely impressed with!). I've also started using braid (i'm usually a mono man). The first pick up was had about an hour into the trip, and I felt for resistance in the braid before hitting it. Whether I struck a bit hard or something, I don't know, but I had a short bit of resistance then it came off.

30 Minutes later, same again, but this time a more controlled sweep back of the rod resulted in solid resistance, and I played a pike to the net. Nothing big, but nicely marked...


Back she goes
As for the reels and drop arms, i'm very impressed. The ball bearings that hold the line are tension sprung, and adjustable, so can be set to the conditions you are fishing in. All pick ups resulted in the line pinging out quickly. The reels are solid, smooth and look like they could last a lifetime.....time will tell!



No comments:

Post a Comment